Now approaching autumn/ winter time your skin can feel tired and dry. To feel revitalized, clean and fresh these are my tips to good skin care.
Research has shown that drinking 1.5 litres of water a day can reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. Fine lines while being a first sign of ageing can be sped up or appear more prominent in de-hydrated skin. To reduce this apply hydrating products to the skin such as Darphin’s Hydraskin which are designed to give 24hours hydration to the skin Yes, you do need to still drink water as hydrating from the inside is key to hydration. Keeping hydrated can also give you clearer skin, sparkly eyes and aid in weight loss and fatigue.
Get more Sleep
Lack of sleep can make skin look dull and uneven as while we sleep our skin is being repaired and re-newed. Not getting enough sleep means our skin cannot reverse the stresses and strains of the day and this starts to become evident in our eyes first giving us dark circles and puffiness. For those times you can’t get your eight hours sleep try adding a few drops of an essential oil blend such as Darphin’s Aromatic care range underneath your moisturiser. The essential oil helps the skin in flushing out toxins built up during the day and works with your natural oil layer so when you wake-up your skin appears more radiant.
Exfoliating the skin is a must do part of your weekly skincare routine. Exfoliating removes dead surface skin cells to reveal new skin cells. The advantages of this are products absorb into the skin better and skin appears more radiant as the new cells reflect light bringing the life back to skin. Exfoliating is also good for acne, unblocking pores, helping to clear spots and reduce acne scarring. Our therapists favourite is Darhin’s Age-Defying dermabrasion which gives visibly smoother, more radiant skin and helps to reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
Re-cycle your Tea bags
Using tea bags is one home remedy that does have some science to back it up. Black tea contains caffeine which helps to flush out fluids from tissues and so this has an effect to reduce puffy eyes and dark circles. Many eye creams and gels contain caffeine for this reason. To use tea bags, leave them to brew in boiled water for 5 minutes and then take them out and squeeze out any access water, allow them to cool for at least 8minutes before applying to your eyes. For a more cooling affect put in the fridge first. Then just sit back and relax for 15 minutes and it’s as easy as that.
With summer here and the holiday season upon us, attention turns once again to our feet, which if like me have spent most of their time, hidden away and neglected. To get your feet in perfect summer shape, follow these tips:
Removing dead skin
- Soak feet in warm water then use a pumice stone or foot file to gently remove dead skin. Soaking the feet will soften the hard skin making it easier to remove.
Cracked / dry heels
- Moisturise, moisturise, moisturise. There are plenty of products on the market for cracked heels, but they all have one thing in common, you need to apply them on a regular basis to have an effect.
Cutting / filing nails
- Whether you use a nail clipper or file, make sure you round the edges of the nail to prevent any in-grown toe nails.
- To keep cuticles healthy make sure you are pushing the cuticles back on a regular basis, this also gives the nail a better shape. Soften the cuticles by soaking in warm water then apply a little cuticle remover to unstick the cuticle from the nail. Using a wooden orange stick gently push the cuticle back.
Once you have followed all of the above, you can now put on the finishing touch, your chosen nail varnish.
The perfect paint
Squeak the nail
- Clean the nail with nail varnish remover before you paint, even if you don’t have a varnish on as it removes any grease on your nails. Grease can cause the nail polish to bubble, which can mean you having to re-paint your nails.
Start with a base coat
- This protects the nails and helps to condition them as well as preventing them from being stained by the nail varnish.
Apply your favourite colour
- Apply two coats of varnish as this ensures a good colour result and stops the varnish from chipping as easily. When you paint leave a tiny gap to avoid letting the nail varnish run into the cuticle, as varnish is likely to peel off more easily when it touches the cuticle.
Finish with a top coat
- This seals the colour and prolongs the life of the paint.
If this sounds far too much like hard work, then book in for our Deluxe Pedicure, which will leave you with feet to show off, and includes your chosen Mavala nail colour to take home.
Click here to browse our selection of pedicures online or call 01635 589415 to book.
With Spring finally here, many of us will be making the most of the sun, perfect for topping up your Vitamin D levels but not so great for those of us trying to delay the ageing process.
There are many things you can do to stay looking 10 years younger, below are some of our tips for keeping that youthful look:
- Always wear an SPF 15 + especially important on the face even when you are not sunbathing, as anytime you are outside the UV rays will be around, and it is often this everyday exposure which has the greatest impact on ageing.
- Drink plenty of water to hydrate your skin from the inside out.
- Wear sunglasses as the skin around the eye is very delicate and all that squinting in the sun will speed up the appearance of fine lines and crows feet.
- Adopt a good skincare routine which will help the skin to protect, repair and re-new itself. If you need advice on your skincare routine we offer Free Skincare sessions which can be booked by calling 01635 589415
- Regular facials will help to keep the skin looking radiant and youthful and improve other concerns such as blemishes and sensitivity. Darphin have designed new prescriptive facials for every concern using high potency products and specific facial massage to treat skin. For more information check out www.vineyard/spa_darphin.asp